The Spanish Dual Language Immersion (DLI) program is currently offered at fifteen schools, thirteen elementary, one middle school and one high school with representation in each Region. Nine of the elementary sites are neighborhood DLI programs serving only students from the school’s attendance area. Four elementary schools, Yosemite MS, and McLane HS are choice program sites which require the completion of a transfer request application and participation in a lottery when there are more applications than space available. 

The 90:10 Spanish DLI program model strives to balance classes linguistically with 30% Spanish speakers, 30% bilingual students, and 30% native English speakers. Students in the most primary grades (PreK-1st) study all content in Spanish including Spanish literacy for 90% of the day and the remaining 10% is dedicated to English instruction via English Language Development.

Percentages of English instruction increase as students move up the grade levels until fourth through six grades when students receive 50% of their instruction in Spanish and 50% in English. Teachers leverage language transfer connections, and cross linguistic comparison and contrast opportunities to facilitate students’ metalinguistic skills and awareness development. The DLI program makes it possible for English learners and native English speakers to become biliterate in each other’s languages through a learning culture of collaboration and interdependence.

English Learner students in the DLI program typically perform as well or better than their counterparts receiving monolingual instruction as demonstrated in re-designation rates and assessment results. Program goals are high academic achievement, bilingualism, bi-literacy and global-cultural competence. The program is described as, “Preparing college and career ready students who are bilingual, bi-literate and culturally competent.”

Dual Immersion Schools

Dual Immersion SchoolGradesSchool AddressPhone
Burroughs ElementaryPre K-5166 N. Sierra Vista, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 253-6430
Calwa ElementaryPre K-54303 E. Jensen Ave, Fresno, CA 93704(559) 457-2610
Centennial ElementaryPre K-53830 E. Saginaw Way, Fresno, CA 93726(559) 248-7040
Ewing Elementary (T)Pre K-64873 E. Olive Ave, Fresno, CA 93727(559) 253-6460
Jackson ElementaryTK-53750 E. Platt Ave, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 457-2950
Juan Felipe Herrera ElementaryPre K-15090 E. Church Ave., Fresno, CA 93725(559) 248-7130
Birney ElementaryTK-K3034 E. Cornell Ave., Fresno, CA 93703(559) 248-7000
Hidalgo ElementaryPre K-33550 E. Thomas, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 457-2930
Lane ElementaryPre K-54730 E. Lowe Ave, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 253-6480
Leavenworth Elementary (T)Pre K-64420 E. Thomas Ave, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 253-6490
McLane High School9-122727 N. Cedar Ave, Fresno, CA 93703(559) 248-5100
Balderas ElementaryPre K-34625 E. Florence Ave., Fresno, CA 93725 (559) 253-6420
Roeding ElementaryPre K-51225 W. Dakota Ave, Fresno, CA 93705(559) 248-7250
Rowell ElementaryPre K-63460 E. McKenzie Ave, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 457-3200
Sunset Elementary (T)Pre K-61755 S. Crystal Ave, Fresno, CA 93706(559) 457-3310
Vang Pao Elementary (Hmong DI)Pre K-64100 E. Heaton Ave, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 457-3380
Wawona K-8 School (T)Pre K-6 4524 N. Thorne Ave, Fresno, CA 93704(559) 248-7310
Winchell ElementaryPre K-33722 E. Lowe Ave., Fresno, CA 93702( 559) 457-3440
Yosemite Middle School7-81292 N. 9th St, Fresno, CA 93703(559) 457-3450

(T) A parent should apply through the Transfers Office for placement of their child at one of these DI schools. Phone # 248-7538

Bilingual Program Schools

Bilingual Program SchoolGradeSchool AddressPhone
Burroughs Elementary2-4166 N. Sierra Vista, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 253-6430
Hidalgo ElementaryK-33550 E. Thomas, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 457-2930
Jackson Elementary2-33750 E. Platt Ave, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 457-2950
Lane Elementary2-34730 E. Lowe Ave, Fresno, CA 93702(559) 253-6480

Back to top